For people with mobility issues, transportation can be difficult and awkward. Vehicles aren’t designed to accommodate older adults, and the simple act of entering or exiting a car can be dangerous.
Fortunately, automotive standing aids offer an effective solution. Using a variety of attachment methods, they improve safety by providing additional points of leverage, ensuring peace of mind for older adults and their caregivers.
We researched some of the highest rated standing aids, paying special attention to their materials and attachment methods. Here’s a detailed guide to the features, pros, and cons of the top options. We’ve also included an in-depth buying guide at the end of the list to help you make an informed decision.
SeniorsMatter participates in affiliate programs with various companies. We may earn commission when you click on or make purchases via links.
The Best Automotive Standing Aids
Stander HandyBar Portable Vehicle Support Bar
The HandyBar attaches to your automobile’s door latch, acting as a temporary grab bar. It weighs about a pound and fits easily into a glovebox or door compartment. The ergonomic, non-slip handle measures 9 inches on its longest end, so it should fit most grips. It also features a few practical additions; it functions as a seat belt cutter or window breaker in an emergency, and the high-quality materials support weights of up to 350 pounds.
This is one of the highest rated automotive standing aids on the market, ideal for both caregivers and senior drivers. However, the HandyBar requires a U-shaped door striker latch; if your vehicle has a striker bolt, you’ll want to look elsewhere. With that said, this is a brilliantly designed product and an effective solution for most older adults.
- Novel design adds mobility by hooking into a vehicle’s door latch or striker, no installation required
- Includes a built-in seat belt cutter and window breaker
- Supports weights of up to 350 pounds
- Brand: Stander
- Model: 3001
- Weight: 1 pound
- Easy to store and carry thanks to compact design
- Multi-purpose design with practical emergency tools
- Ergonomic handle with non-slip grip
- Only works with vehicles that have certain types of door latches
- Requires careful attachment
- May not be appropriate for all mobility issues
Emson Car Cane With Built-In LED Flashlight
Like the HandyBar, the Car Cane hooks into a vehicle’s chassis, functioning as a temporary handle. The forged aluminum head also doubles as a window breaker in case of emergencies, and the handle contains a built-in seat belt cutter. As a bonus, a built-in LED flashlight provides up to 100,000 hours of illumination. Emson also offers a money-back guarantee.
Unlike HandyBar, the Car Cane features a straight head that is designed to stay in place as you or your loved one moves out of the car. Of course, every car is different, so finding the right design for the intended vehicle of use is key.
- Hooks into most car door latches to enhance mobility
- Non-slip grip provides reliable functionality in all weather conditions
- Forged aluminum construction can hold up to 350 lbs
- Functions as an LED flashlight, seat belt cutter, and window breaker
- Brand: Emson
- Model: 9663
- Weight: 0.65 pounds
- Seat belt cutter, window break, and built-in flashlight provide additional functionality
- Easy to use with most vehicles
- Fits easily into purses, glove boxes, and center consoles
- Plastic handle isn’t as reliable as other options
- Not compatible with all vehicles
- Requires careful attachment
E-cowlboy Auto Adjustable Car Grab Handle
This ergonomic car handle slides over the top of a vehicle’s frame, providing a comfortable and secure grip for people with mobility issues. To install it, open the car door and lower the window, put the strap around the highest point of the window outline, then snap the buckle. The strap is adjustable to accommodate users of different heights.
E-cowlboy’s car grab handle is made from durable nylon with a non-slip PVC grip, but some automotive windows may cut into the strap over time. Be sure to replace the product if it shows any obvious signs of wear.
- Fits most cars easily and adjusts in seconds
- Supports weights of up to 350 pounds
- Non-slip ergonomic grip
- 100% satisfaction guarantee
- Manufacturer offers an 18-month warranty
- Brand: E-cowlboy
- Model: Auto Adjustable Car Handle, Black
- Weight: 0.1 pounds
- Inexpensive, but made with high-quality materials
- Attaches easily to any vehicle
- Height can be adjusted easily
- Some automotive window frames may gradually cut through the strap
- Buckle is well made, but is a single point of failure
- May be difficult for older adults to install
Seat Belt Extender Pros Car Mobility Aid Auto Hand Grip
If you’re looking for something that doesn’t attach to the car’s door latch, this auto mobility assist attaches to a car-seat headrest, adding a comfortable point of leverage for backseat passengers. Of course, it’s not as useful for drivers and front-seat passengers, but the high-quality materials make it an excellent option for worry-free use.
It installs in seconds without any extra tools; remove the headrest, then hook the loops around the posts on the base. Reinstall the headrest, and you’re ready to go. Since the aid can be left in place for as long as needed, it is ideal for traveling. Before ordering, make sure that your headrest can be fully removed from your car seat.
- Soft grip provides comfortable leverage
- Installs quickly without any tools
- Heavy-duty materials for added peace of mind
- Brand: Seat Belt Extender Pros
- Model: FBA_MATL_2xAutoHandGrip
- Weight: 0.15 pounds
- Installs semi-permanently in seconds
- Provides a comfortable grip for passengers
- Inexpensive and effective
- Only provides support to backseat passengers
- Requires a vehicle with removable headrests
- Not long enough for shorter individuals
Gait Belt & Car Assist Standing Aid
This bundle includes a car assist grip and a wearable transfer belt for helping people with more severe mobility issues. The assist grip swings over the top of a vehicle’s window, providing two comfortable handles. The transfer belt has six hand grips (two horizontal, four vertical) to allow caregivers to find the perfect leverage points.
This is a great set to help older adults enter or exit vehicles in a stable, comfortable manner. However, some buyers might not need the transfer belt, which would just be a waste if you’re only interested in the standing aid. With that said, the high-quality nylon materials should provide years of dependable service, and the adjustable standing aid should work with any vehicle.
- Transfer belt accommodates waist sizes from 28 to 55 inches
- Six padded, ergonomic hand grips on transfer belt
- All components made from high-quality nylon with dependable stitching
Double-handled padded grip adjusts from 7 to 16 inches
- Lifetime guarantee
- Brand: Comfy Spot
- Model: B07W7VB3WX (Amazon Serial Number)
- Weight: 1.4 pounds
- Transfer belt provides easier ambulation for older adults and caregivers
- Standing aid has comfortable grips and attaches to any vehicle door
- Adjustable components should accommodate most users with ease
- Transfer belt might be unnecessary for some users
- Window grip strap may wear with time
- Requires a bit of setup
Maxsa 20120 Grab Handle Headrest Mount
Sometimes, simpler is better. The Maxsa 20120 is a basic handle that fits onto the back of a vehicle’s headrest. It’s available in two colors (black and grey), and it attaches firmly to provide secure leverage.
For obvious reasons, this handle is only compatible with vehicles that have removable headrests. It installs semi-permanently in seconds without any additional tools, but it’s only really useful for backseat passengers. The hard plastic material is sturdy, though it lacks padding—that will appeal to some buyers, but others might prefer a more comfortable grip.
- Low profile handle doesn’t disturb backseat passengers
- Made from strong plastic for a firm grip and provides stability while entering/exiting car
- Fits onto any removable headrest post
- Brand: Maxsa Innovations
- Model: 20120
- Weight: 0.35 pounds
- Simple, semi-permanent installation
- Hard plastic material is stable and durable
- Multiple color options available
- Requires a removable headrest mount
- Grip is not padded
- Might not be as helpful for shorter individuals
Automotive Standing Aid Buying Guide
When choosing an automotive standing aid, think carefully about the user’s mobility challenges. Consider whether or not the design will be an effective solution and realize that different users will have different needs.
Here are a few questions to consider when making your purchase:
What mobility challenges will the standing aid address?
Does the user just need a leverage point to pull themselves up or assist themselves down, or will they require a caregiver’s assistance to exit the vehicle? Do they have shoulder pain or back problems that make it difficult to reach overhead?
Questions like this will help guide you to the ideal standing aid. For instance, people with limited reach may prefer a support bar that attaches to a door latch. Users with plenty of upper body strength and limited mobility in the legs or hips may find an overhead car handle more useful.
Don’t forget to verify the device’s recommended weight limit. Most products that attach directly to the car’s frame will offer an upper limit of around 350 pounds.
Will the automotive standing aid materials hold up over time?
Standing aids come in a wide variety of materials, from metal to nylon. Generally, you’ll pay more for a more durable device. If an older adult plans to use a standing aid daily or multiple times a week, it’s usually worth it to pay for the more durable option. Likewise, if you expect only occasional use, you may be able to save a little on materials.
Will the product work with my vehicle?
Pay close attention to the standing aid’s attachment mechanism. If it attaches to a vehicle’s headrest, for instance, you’ll want to verify that your headrests are actually removable (this is the case with most modern vehicles, but certainly not all models). If the aid attaches to a vehicle door lock, make sure that your vehicle’s lock is situated appropriately—if it’s too low or high to provide leverage, you’ll want to keep looking.
Do you need extra features?
Don’t let all the bells and whistles distract you. Just because an automotive standing aid comes with a built-in flashlight or added seat belt cutter doesn’t make it better. While multi-functionality can be useful, the main focus here should be on the standing aid suiting your unique needs. Tools like a window breaker also require prior instruction on how to properly use. That said, emergency car tools are a good idea to keep on hand, and we have a detailed review of some handy car safety hammers in the unfortunate off chance you need to use one.
Caregivers should work with seniors to choose appropriate standing aids for their unique situations. When used properly, these products can be extraordinarily helpful to individuals with mobility issues, giving them confidence, comfort, and a sense of independence.