High-quality sanitary products are well worth their cost, but adult wipes deserve some scrutiny. That’s particularly true when purchasing for older adults. While the right wipes can improve hygiene while easing discomfort for seniors, some products certainly deliver better results than others.
We researched the most popular adult wipes available online, paying special care to the factors that set them apart. Here’s our picks. If you’re having trouble choosing, we also included a buying guide towards the end of this article to help older adults and their caregivers make well-informed decisions.
SeniorsMatter participates in affiliate programs with various companies. We may earn commission when you click on or make purchases via links.
The Best Adult Wipes
Cottonelle FreshCare Flushable Wipes
If you’re looking for no-frills flushable wipes with basic features, Cottonelle delivers. Each wipe has a lightly textured surface that cleans effectively, but they’re still soft enough for everyday use. The manufacturer claims that they’re safe for sewers and septic systems (be sure to see our buying guide for more information on flushability), and each pack is resealable for easy on-the-go use. However, some reviewers note that the packs can come open after being resealed, so you might need to invest in a separate container for the wipes.
FreshCare wipes have aloe and vitamin E, but they also contain some fragrance, which may irritate some users. Still, they’re inexpensive, effective, and simple—pretty much everything you’d expect from one of the top personal hygiene brands.
- Made with 100 percent biodegradable fibers
- Sewer safe and septic safe with SafeFlush technology
- Lightly textured for better cleansing
- Alcohol free
- 42 wipes per soft, resealable pack
- Eight packs for 336 wipes total
- Brand: Cottonelle
- Model: 10036000490456
- Dimensions: 5.5 x 3.75 inches
- Free from plastic and 100 percent biodegradable
- Large double-ply wipes clean effectively
- Low price relative to other options
- Has an added fragrance
- Some users may prefer untextured wipes
- Resealable packs can come open
Charmin Freshmates Flushable Wet Wipes
Charmin Freshmates cleanse effectively and efficiently for everyday use. According to the manufacturer, the wipes are safe for sewers and septic systems (but again, check our buying guide before deciding whether or not to flush these). Each portable pack has a plastic seal to keep the wipes moist.
Unlike some of the other options on the market, Charmin Freshmates contain benzyl alcohol, a mild solvent that could potentially cause skin irritation for some older adults. They also have a light fragrance, which could be a benefit or a drawback depending on the user’s personal preferences.
- Snap-top packaging keeps wipes moist
- Light, fresh fragrance
- 40 wipes per pack
- 12 resealable packs for 480 wipes total
- Brand: Charmin
- Model: H&PC-72634
- Dimensions: 7.2 x 5 inches
- Snap top helps keep wipes moist
- Smooth surface is hemorrhoid friendly
- Can be used to freshen up between showers
- Smaller than some other options
- Contains fragrance and benzyl alcohol
- Occasionally reviewers reported issues removing one wipe at a time from package
DUDE Wipes Flushable Wet Wipes
DUDE Wipes have unnecessarily gendered branding, which might cause some buyers to immediately discount them. That’s unfortunate, as they’ve got some nice features that make them one of the better adult wipe options on the market (regardless of whether or not you’re a “dude”).
They’re made with plant-sourced fibers, which are both biodegradable and flushable. Vitamin E and aloe provide some skin-friendly benefits, and the soft, thick sheets are about 25 percent larger than average wet wipes. DUDE Wipes are available with a “mint chill” fragrance, but older adults will probably prefer the unscented version.
- About 25 percent larger than average wet wipes
- Unscented wipes are hypoallergenic and paraben free
- Resealable packaging keeps wipes fresh
- 48 wipes per pack
- Available in one or three packs
- Combo option comes with 30, individually wrapped wipes for on-the-go use
- Brand: Dude Products
- Model: DW-CE-3
- Dimensions: 7.8 by 5.7 inches
- Plastic latch on packaging keeps wipes fresh
- Wipes are biodegradable and flushable
- Larger than average wet wipes
- Unnecessarily gendered branding
- Some reviewers claim they are thinner than other brands
- May dry out if not used frequently
Surviveware Biodegradable Large Wet Wipes
Surviveware wet wipes are designed for campers and hikers—but at the end of the day, a wipe is a wipe, regardless of where you’re using it. They’re also significantly larger than many other wipes on the market, which can make them ideal for cleaning older adults. While they’re usable as toilet wipes, they’re also ideal for keeping clean between full baths.
Each wipe measures 8 inches by 12 inches, so a single pack goes a long way. The large size might be overkill for some purposes, but they’re soft, durable, and biodegradable. We couldn’t find any information on whether they’re plumbing friendly, but given their size, we wouldn’t flush these.
- Infused with aloe and vitamin E
- Hypoallergenic and pH-balanced
- Alcohol free
- Biodegradable within six months
- 32 wipes per pack
- Brand: Surviveware
- Model: 4332455138
- Dimensions: 8 x 12 inches
- Completely biodegradable and environmentally friendly
- Large size makes them ideal for full-body cleaning
- No fragrances, alcohol, or other irritating ingredients
- Large wipes might not be ideal for some users
- Packaging keeps wipes wet, but doesn’t fully reseal
- More expensive than some other options
TENDERProtect Adult Wipes With Aloe
TENDERProtect wipes are soft, gentle, and infused with aloe and lanolin, which help to soothe skin and prevent irritation. Unfortunately, the formula also includes propylene glycol, a common additive that can cause skin reactions in some users. While most people will be able to use these wipes without issue—propylene glycol sensitivities are relatively rare—buyers should patch-test these wipes before using them on sensitive skin.
A flip-up lid keeps the wipes moist between uses, but the packaging could use some improvements, as reviewers noted difficulties in removing a single wipe at a time. They also quite large, so depending on the use case, may or may not be a good thing. Still, given their low cost and skin-friendly ingredients, TENDERProtect wipes are worthy of consideration, particularly in homes or facilities with multiple older adults.
- Hypoallergenic, unscented alcohol-free formula
- Added aloe and lanolin to soothe skin
- Slim packaging with flip-up lid
- 9 x 12 inches
- 50 wipes per pack
- Six packs for 600 wipes total
- Brand: TENDERProtect
- Model: B07H8S6W63 (Amazon Serial Number)
- Dimensions: 9 x 12 inches
- Inexpensive, but with added skin-friendly ingredients
- Plastic lid keeps the wipes moist
- No strong scent or added fragrances
- Contains propylene glycol, which could cause irritation for some users
- Packaging could use improvement
- Large size might not be ideal for all users
Healthy Spirit Premium Washcloths
Healthy Spirit washcloths are pH balanced and alcohol free, and they’re designed for full-body hygiene. Each oversized washcloth is infused with aloe vera and vitamin E, though the formula also contains propylene glycol. They’re larger and thicker than toilet wipes, so they hold together well during cleansing, and they dispense easily from their resealable package.
Unlike some of the other options on this list, Healthy Spirit adult wipes are explicitly not flushable. We couldn’t find any information from the manufacturer indicating that they’re biodegradable, so if you’re looking for an eco-friendly option, you might want to look elsewhere.
- Oversized 8 x 12″ wipes allow for full-body hygiene
- Infused with aloe vera and vitamin E
Alcohol free and pH balanced
- 50 wipes per pack
- Five packs for 250 wipes total
- Brand: Healthy Spirit
- Model: HSPW50-5
- Dimensions: 8 x 12 inches
- Soft, extra-strong wipes work well for bathing and incontinence care
- High-quality packaging makes dispensing single sheets easy
- Skin-friendly additives help to nurture sensitive skin
- No information about biodegradability
- Some users product bunching during use
- Propylene glycol may cause skin irritation in users with sensitivities
Adult Wipes Buying Guide
Some brands claim that their adult wipes are fully biodegradable and safe for all sewer systems. Unfortunately, there’s no way to verify these claims, and many plumbers insist that wet wipes are much more likely to cause a clog than conventional toilet paper. After all, toilet paper breaks down when exposed to moisture, and obviously, that’s not the case for pre-moistened adult wipes. While they eventually biodegrade, that’s a comparatively slow process.
With that in mind, we can’t say definitively that flushable wipes are safe for all sewer systems or that they biodegrade quickly enough to prevent clogs. Buyers might want to avoid flushing any wipes, regardless of the claims on the products’ packaging. If you do flush, avoid flushing more than two wipes at a time.
Fragrances and Other Ingredients
Be aware of any skin sensitivities and read ingredient lists carefully when purchasing.
While most adult wipes are marketed as hypoallergenic, some chemicals can cause irritation over time, especially alcohols (used in some formulas as antibacterial agents), fragrances, and propylene glycol. Of course, adult wipes are designed to be used on sensitive skin, so these ingredients are usually added sparingly.
Many product formulas also contain skin-friendly ingredients like aloe vera and vitamin E. These additives may be helpful to some users, but ironically, they can also cause reactions for people with sensitivities. Always spot test wipes before using them on sensitive skin.
Larger adult wipes are generally a better option if you’re purchasing adult wipes as a comprehensive hygiene solution, but they tend to be more expensive.
Consider the practical applications before making a decision; if you intend to use wipes to extend the time between full bathings, the larger options might make sense. As with any personal hygiene purchase, caretakers should work with older adults to find the best possible option.
Adult wipes are a safe, effective addition to a well-rounded hygiene regimen, and they’re practically essential when caring for older adults. By evaluating a few options, you can ensure the health and comfort of your loved one while making your caregiving tasks a little easier.