Leg rest pillows alleviate pain through the simple, fail-proof magic of elevation.
This type of pillow is commonly used after surgery to manage back, hip, leg or knee pain. Not only that, but they also relieve stress on the lower body and reduce swelling in feet.
Leg rest pillows improve posture, improve circulation and lymphatic flow, and alleviate pain in a variety of tender places. If you or a loved one experience leg pain, this pillow could possibly be a game-changer for you. And, if you’re recovering with surgery of some sort, elevation really does facilitate recovery.
Yet all leg rests aren’t all built the same. Before purchasing your own, consider our top picks from Amazon as well as our advice on how to find the best product for your specific needs.
SeniorsMatter participates in affiliate programs with various companies. We may earn commission when you click on or make purchases via links.
The Best Post Surgery Leg Rests
Cushy Form Post-Surgery Elevating Leg Rest Pillow With Memory Foam Top
Cushy Form’s leg rest pillow is made with a high-density memory foam that is plush, soothing, and truly effective for pain management.
The pillow is orthopedically designed to be as helpful for body pain as possible. The pillow is built to correct posture, increase the quality of your sleep, and also relieve pain and stress in the body through the power of elevation.
If you will be using your pillow frequently, you can remove the cover easily and throw it in the washing machine to maintain freshness.
And, if for some reason you don’t like your pillow, don’t worry–there’s a 100% money-back guarantee!
- Removable and washable cover
- Memory foam top layer
- Polyurethane foam
- 100% money-back guarantee
- Brand: Cushy Form
- Model: FBA_CF-Elevator-009
- Dimensions: 24 x 21 x 8 inches; 4.65 pounds
- Feels as soft as Tempurpedic
- Designed to improve sleep and body discomfort
- The leg rest has a high rating and lots of reviews
- No variation in size for differing body types
- Will have to give the pillow time to inflate when it’s unpackaged
- Fabric can pill over time if you’re wearing abrasive fabrics
Restorology Elevating Foam Leg Rest Pillow
The pillow is made of 100% polyester, making the foam dense and able to retain shape with repeated use. The pillow comes with a microfiber cover that is removable and washable, so you never have to worry about your pillow getting unsanitary or dusty with extended use.
- 100% polyester
- Removable and washable cover
- Dense foam
- Microfiber cover
- Brand: Restorology
- Model: RG-LGRSTPLW
- Dimensions: 17 x 7 x 7 inches; 3.02 pounds
- Lightweight and easy to carry around
- Will retain shape with use
- Pillowcase can be removed and washed
- Not actually memory foam
- Firmer than other models on the market
- Not very wide
InteVision Ortho Bed Wedge Pillow
This leg rest pillow is unique because it has a two-layer design that marries function with comfort.
The base of the pillow is made of a dense polyurethane foam that is designed to retain shape. The top layer is memory foam that will put your legs at ease and create undeniable comfort.
The elevation from the pillow achieves zero gravity spinal alignment, which promotes good posture while also minimizing pain in the back, legs, and feet!
- Two-layer design: the top layer is memory foam and the bottom layer is made of polyurethane foam
- Machine-washable soft bamboo cover
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Brand: Intevision
- Model: SYNCHKG036667
- Dimensions: 24 x 21 x 8 inches; 3.2 pounds
- Wide enough to comfortably fit both legs on the wedge
- Zero-gravity design
- Two-layer design
- Only comes in one size
- Still quite firm even with memory foam
- The memory foam layer could be thicker
DMI Ortho Supportive Elevated Leg Pillow
DMI’s orthopedic leg rest pillow is a great option because there are three available sizes. Each with a 20 inch wide platform, the pillows increase in thickness, length, and the degree the angled end is sloped, meaning there is a perfectly sized pillow for almost everyone.
The high-density foam pillow delivers firm support that will keep its shape with repeated use. Some reviewers did note that it might take a few days to get used to the firmness, but soon the body will adjust. The leg rest is complete with a poly-cotton cover in a pretty light blue color that’s machine-washable.
- 6’’, 8’’, 10’’ elevation
- Different inclines depending on the height of the leg rest
- 20” wide platform
- Bright blue, washable cover
- Brand: MABIS DMI Healthcare
- Model: 555-8071-0124
- Dimensions and weight: 10 x 30.5 x 20 inches; 2.5 pounds
- Available in several sizes
- Firm, ergonomic design brings relief to the entire body
- Can be used for more than a leg rest
- Might take some a while to get used to the firmness
- Fabric isn’t super durable
- No warranty
Hermell Zero-Gravity Leg Elevation Pillow
Similar to other designs, Hermell’s zero-gravity leg elevation pillow is constructed from a durable polyurethane foam that offers firm, shape-holding support. An easy to remove cotton blend pillow cover, available in white or blue, can simply be popped into a washing machine to quickly clean and refresh.
The affordable leg rest comes in three different various lengths, widths, and height combos for your personal purchasing needs.
In addition to back support, the pillow successfully elevates the legs above the heart, which aids in pain relief and reducing swelling. The pillow is known to decrease the pain of sciatica, which is a condition that can cause pain in the back, bottom, and legs.
- Three different sizes
- Comes in white or blue
- Made with polyurethane foam
- Cotton cover is removable and washable
- Brand: Hermell Products Inc.
- Model: MJ4020WRSB
- Dimensions: 21 x 15 x 7 inches; 1.25 pounds
- Variety of sizes
- Very lightweight and portable
- Cotton cover not as high end as others
- Some reviewers reported cover is loose on the pillow
- No warranty information
LightEase Memory Foam Elevation Leg Pillow
It’s popularly used for those who underwent knee, leg, hip or foot surgery. LightEase estimates the pillow speeds up recovery by 30%. So if you’re trying to recover from surgery quickly and also stay comfortable day and night, this pillow is likely for you!
- Made of memory foam
- Plush, machine-washable cover
- Handle for easy moving
- 45-degree incline
- You can use it on a bed or recliner
- Brand: LightEase
- Dimensions and weight: 32 x 13 x 9.5 inches; 3 pounds
- Great for surgery recovery
- Soft and fuzzy cover
- The handle makes moving the leg rest easy
- Might be too small for swollen legs
- Requires 24 hours to expand fully
Ebung High-Density Leg Rest Elevating Foam Wedge
Ebung’s leg rest features a two-layer foam pillow–a denser base that provides support and a memory foam top for extra comfort. The ergonomic design molds to the natural shape of the body while still ultimately retaining its shape.
The dust-proof cover is hypoallergenic, breathable, machine-washable. The woven fabric helps ensure the leg rest will stay cool during extended use.
Highly rated, Ebung’s elevating foam wedge is built to last, and can assist with a host of issues, including edema, aligning the spine and coccyx, improving blood circulation, and supporting ligaments and muscles, all while reducing swelling.
- One inch of memory foam top
- Polyurethane foam based
- Limited two-year warranty
- Washable, hypoallergenic cover
- Full refund available in the first 60 days
- Brand: Ebung
- Model: 8541800701
- Dimensions and weight: 13 x 11 x 7.2 inches; 4.5 pounds
- Product is hypoallergenic
- Cover is made with a highly breathable material
- Full refund is available followed by a two-year warranty
- No variety of sizes and heights
- Only one inch of memory foam
- Heavier than other models
Post Surgery Leg Rest Buyer’s Guide
While seemingly similar, there is a bit of variety from one leg rest to another. As long as you know what you’re looking for, you should be able to find the best leg rest for your specific needs with no problem. Let’s break down the main components:
Each wedge cover is a little different, but there are a few factors that will make a world of difference for the lifespan and comfort of your leg rest.
We recommend looking for a leg rest with a machine-washable cover. Without one, you’re basically allowing the wedge to become a breeding ground for bacteria.
The material of the cover is equally important. Most cases are made out of a cotton blend, similar to a normal pillow case. If the information is available, thread count will dictate the softness and durability of the cover. A plush cover will be warm and soft, but won’t be as breathable as other fabrics, so if staying cool is a concern, but sure to keep that in mind.
Some people might really enjoy a stiff leg rest, others might want one that forms to the shape of your leg. Both are readily available for purchase.
For the most part, you’ll find pillows that balance both comfort and firmness. In order for the leg to be elevated above the heart, the pillow does have to be firm enough to retain shape and prevent your leg from completely sinking.
Polyurethane is the most common material used for the base of the pillow. Polyurethane is a high-density foam that balances stiffness with subtle plushness. If you want a softer leg rest, check out pillows that have memory foam on the top layer that will offer at bit more cushion.
The height of the leg rest determines its effectiveness in soothing pain. If you’re purchasing the leg rest because of intense swelling, make sure the pillow is tall enough to elevate your legs above your heart.
Most leg rests are about 7’’ or 8’’ tall which is the perfect height for elevation and pain relief. Some models are taller which is a better choice for taller individuals.
Width and length are also an important consideration, especially if leg swelling is a concern. You want to ensure the pillow will be wide and long enough to comfortably accommodate you or your loved one’s legs
We recommend measuring the length of your or loved one’s legs from the base of the bottom to the knees, and again from the knees to feet to decide which height and length will be most appropriate. Measure once again across both legs to find the width needed.